Monday 20 May 2013

Book Worm - The Sea Change, Joanna Rossiter


I don't believe in coincidences!  I rarely read the letters in newspapers, but when I do they're about something I've been working on.  I only occasionally read the financial section but again it's about a company I've got an interest in or who are going through similar experiences to me.
However, it doesn't cease to amaze me that when, for instance, I walk past a shop window and spot a book's cover, it turns out to be written by the daughter of an old teaching colleague!

And not only that but it's been included in Richard and Judy's Summer Read list who had this to say about it: 'What a debut from Joanna. We think it's a triumph of storytelling.'  And Orange Prize Winner Helen Dunmore said: 'A great theme: impermanence, and the sweeping away of everything we believed was certain. Joanna Rossiter really shines with lovely, fluid, restrained writing. This is such a moving story.'
I have to be honest and say I haven't read it yet (although I will) but it's only just been published.  However, here's the synopsis.

Yesterday was Alice's wedding day. She is thousands of miles away from the home she is so desperate to leave, on the southernmost tip of India, when she wakes in the morning to see a wave on the horizon, taller than the height of her guest house on Kanyakumari beach. Her husband is nowhere to be seen.
On the other side of the world, unhappily estranged from her daughter, is Alice's mother, Violet. Forced to leave the idyllic Wiltshire village, Imber, in which she grew up after it was requisitioned by the army during the Second World War, Violet is haunted by the shadow of the man she loved and the wilderness of a home that lies in ruins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog. We hope you enjoy it and share it with your friends. If you have a secret place, shop, book or hobby you would like to share, we want to hear about it. Email us at enquiries@cobwebknits.co.uk together with a bit of info about you and any links or images you would like included.