Monday 10 February 2014

Meet the Maker - Kirsty Elson

I keep being drawn back to artists based in Cornwall for some reason, but I think a lot of it has to do with their skill for using natural objects to help create their unique pieces.  Kirsty Elson is another such artist.  And I agree with Sarah Pitt's description when she says "there's a special charm about Kirsty's driftwood houses.  With their tiny windows, weather driftwood doors and roofs of wood or slate held on with rusty nails, they evoke the naive art of St Ives 19th century fisherman-painter Alfred Wallis."
She has a background in illustration and printmaking, but now prefers to combine her love of beachcombing, textiles and all things nautical to create lovely handcrafted cards and home accessories.
I'll let Kirsty continue in her own words : 'I am a multi-media artist lucky enough to live in beautiful Cornwall with my partner and two young sons.  We all love the beach and I am inspired by my coastal surroundings.  My work is heavily influenced by the worn materials I discover washed up on local beaches and I love the idea of using found objects like driftwood and turning them into something beautiful and unique. I hope my work makes you smile!'
As well as featuring in the media her work crops up in less likely places too and eagle-eyed fans will have spotted her work in the home of one of the contestants in the BBC's recent Interior Design Challenge series.  But for her, one of her greatest accolades was being featured in a Russian magazine called Art, which is produced for teachers and pupils. The idea is they learn about a new artist, then there is a suggested project taking inspiration from that person. This little town is made from matchboxes. As she says herself, "How cool is that?!"
As well as selling her work online, she can be found in galleries and will soon feature in an exhibition at Unit Twelve from the 6th March in Staffordshire. The gallery hosts a regularly changing programme and this one showcases madebyhandonline, a curate website championing high quality contemporary craft from some of the UK's finest makers, including, of course, Kirsty.
And can I meet my challenge of finding something to link with our products?  I guess the pirate T-shirt would have to be the closest.  They did have pirates and smugglers off the coast of Cornwall after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog. We hope you enjoy it and share it with your friends. If you have a secret place, shop, book or hobby you would like to share, we want to hear about it. Email us at enquiries@cobwebknits.co.uk together with a bit of info about you and any links or images you would like included.